e-mail etiquette

I would not waste the lists time on this if it wasn't referred to
recently on the list and if I did not just get into an argument with
my wife about this point in e-mail  etiquette.

It has been asserted strongly that  etiquette suggests that the reply
text follow the text of the message replied to.
That makes sense to me. But it is not
followed on many lists outside the computer users context. Hence the
argument with my wife.

This drove me to google and looking up sites for e-mail  etiquette and
that rule is just not found. Any one know where to find it?
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.