Re: e-mail etiquette

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> I would not waste the lists time on this if it wasn't referred to
> recently on the list and if I did not just get into an argument with
> my wife about this point in e-mail  etiquette.

ooooh yeah, now it's getting *personal*. :-)

> It has been asserted strongly that  etiquette suggests that the reply
> text follow the text of the message replied to.
> That makes sense to me.

having the reply follow the related posting does not just make
sense.  it is correct.  it is the one true way, in the same way
that braces in C should be done this way:

if (top posting) {
	printf("argh!!!") ;
}

and not any of

if (condition)
{
}

or

if (condition)
	{
	}

or, even more perversely,

if (condition) {
	blah
	}

or any hideous, unspeakable variation of these.

  quite simply, there are two schools of thought on
replying: the "bottom posting" way, and the wrong way.
deal with it.

rday