RE: File Server irritants (newbie)

I bookmarked the site. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Buck

-----Original Message-----
From: shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Rodolfo J. Paiz
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 12:46 AM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: File Server irritants (newbie)

At 00:39 9/29/2003, you wrote:
>Quote:
>The book Linux Firewalls by Robert Ziegler can help you a lot [...] End

>quote:
>
>I have a hardware firewall on the network, but I want to learn how to
>set additional firewall on the server just in case [...]

I am often heard on this list recommending Shorewall to people in such
situations. You're next: try Shorewall for your firewall configuration.
You
can find it at http://www.shorewall.net and download it.

Please read the config files before starting the firewall, and note the
"one-interface quick start guide" on the website. You should be up and
running in less than 15 minutes the first time.

Note that you _do_ want to set up a firewall on that server. In essence
(from what you've posted, at least) you only want people to be able to
access the server via port 22 (ssh) and via the Samba ports (137:139
mostly). So you set up your firewall to ACCEPT those connections from
the
network, and then you set up a policy to DROP any other connections. Now

people trying to crack your server have a much harder job, if they do
get
in they must alter the firewall before they can install backdoor
programs, etc.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx