Red Hat is still more affordable (Was: The end of RHL for private use?)

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 07:54, rogerwphx wrote:
> I'm just a user following the thread. I did some checking - playing what
> if. The cheapest Suse distribution is $99.00, but won't install without
> a maintenance pack for $499.00.
>
> Red Hat WS can be downloaded for $179.00, but doesn't include
> documentation, support or most of the server packages I want. You can
> download Red Hat ES for $349.00 to get the server packages without
> documentation or support - it's $799.00 with documentation and support.
>
> I have used support email twice and don't feel I need it. I don't need a
> package that does more than one cpu or 64-bit. What I do need is
> something better than a desktop (emachine plus office) at an affordable
> price. I'm disabled and affordable for me falls well below the quotes I
> found. I haven't checked Fedora, but am feeling a bit down after
> reviewing my choices. RH9 may be the last package I can afford if this
> goes worst-case.
>
> The quotes were just a quick info gathering, not at all thorough.

Actually, I think Fedora might still be an affordable answer. The
difference is that you would get an RHN subscription for Fedora updates.
That should not cost more than about $90 to $100 per year, worst case.
You also would then have access to all of the Fedora 3rd party
repositories.

Since you don't need support, you should be able to get most all of what
you need from the community. The only additional "cost" of Fedora is
that you will be upgrading your system roughly twice per year. If you
keep a plan together for backup and restoration of your data, this is a
fairly simple operation. Upgrading from one version of Fedora to the
next should be pretty straight forward and is planned to be supported
within Fedora itself.

I'm running Fedora Core Test 2 now. Upgrading from the last version took
me about an hour. That upgrade was a backup, clean install, restore
operation which included adding support for my NVidia graphics card. I
expect to invest roughly the same amount of time to upgrade to test 3
and then again to the final release. You might want to give Fedora a
closer look for the kind of use you are talking about. I also think, if
you do the math, you will find the alternatives from companies like
Microsoft are *much* more expensive. A Windows XP full license is over
$200, Windows Server 2003 can set you back $3,000 and then you still
need Office at another $400. Then add the other apps, anti-virus
software, etc...

Cheers,

Chris