Re: My kingdom for a stable RH9/TP R40 (2681) laptop

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 17:43, dsavage@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Monday September 22, 2003 "Barry L. Kline" <blkline@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I recently purchased an IBM ThinkPad R40 laptop to replace my old
> > workhorse, a  TP 770.
> >
> > Although the thing is extremely fast, I have an irritating problem with
> > it  that I haven't figured out how to fix.  The thing will occasionally
> > lock up  -- no three finger salute, no response to pings from another
> > machine,  nothing.  My only option is to hold down the power button
> > until the machine  turns itself off.  I've tried to take note to what
> > I'm doing when it locks...  frequently I'm in either Mozilla (which
> > typically causes the problem if I  fill in a form and press "Enter") or
> > resizing a window when the problem  occurs.  Sometimes it may be as
> > simple as going from one workspace to  another.  In any event, my best
> > "uptime" is 2 days on this beastie.  My 770  has given me uptimes of
> > months (I simply suspend to disk instead of shutting  down)
> >
> > The machine has a Pent IV Mobile @ ~2Ghz, 512M of RAM, 40 Gb HD, ATI
> > Radeon  graphics.   The X video driver that I'm using is:
> >
> > BoardName   "ATI Radeon Mobility 7500"
> >
> > Various searches through groups.Google.com have yielded some things to
> > try  (which I have), among them:
> >
> > booting with "noapic" as a kernel parameter
> > booting with "apic=on pci=noapic" as a kernel parameter
> >
> > Neither has been helpful.
> >
> > I've tried turning on/off various power management options, again
> > without  relief.
> >
> > I've upgraded the BIOS  and other embedded software, no help.
> >
> > Is there anyone out there using this machine with RH9 whose machine
> > doesn't  exhibit this behaviour?    Can anyone offer any other
> > suggestions?
>
> Barry,
>
> I doubt that any apic parameter will affect your R40. I'm running Severn
> on an A22p Thinkpad with a 1G PIII/M, 512M, two hard drives (32G and 80G),
> and an ATI Rage Mobility 128. The video is set for a 1600x1200 generic LCD
> in millions of colors. Its behavior in this respect is exactly the same
> under Severn as it was under 7.3/8.0/9.
>
> Once in a while I'll wake up to find my XMatrix screen saver frozen. As
> you say, the only way to regain control is to press the power switch and
> hold. I don't know why it happens. There has often been bad weather
> overnight, but this shouldn't be a factor for a battery-driven laptop in a
> docking station powered by a 1000 VA UPS. I probably should double-check
> to see if everything (Etherswitch, gateway router, external modem, KVM,
> monitor) is powered by that same UPS. Total isolation *should* eliminate
> flakey power as a villain.
>
> One thing I did eliminate as a cause was my cat strolling across the
> ThinkPad's keyboard during the night. I didn't actually eliminate my cat
> -- I just disabled APCI in the BIOS and closed the lid after switching to
> external monitor mode (double-tap Fn-F7) and using a Logitech Cordless
> Desktop keyboard & mouse.

> [...]
Well guys, I have noticed the same problem with mine and I thought it was
an isolated thing so I was just sitting back and waiting for someone else
to bring it up.  Mine is an AMD Athlon 800 MHz processor on a ASUS A7v+
mother board with 512 MB Ram, 4 80G HDs and ADAPTEC 2490 SCSI bus with
CD Burner and flatbed scanner.  The Video is a 64M NVIDIA Based Card.
The Machine locks only in the GL driven screen savers and only randomly
but does lock hard like with you guys but I am also noticing what I can
best describe as a stutter in the CPU about every 30 to 40 seconds when
in GL based games like UT2003 or Lbreakout.

Perhaps it is related somehow to the GL section of the kernel?  I am not
a code head (but I wish I was) so I really don't know.

:)
Ron