My kingdom for a stable RH9/TP R40 (2681) laptop

I recently purchased an IBM ThinkPad R40 laptop to replace my old workhorse, a
TP 770.

Although the thing is extremely fast, I have an irritating problem with it
that I haven't figured out how to fix.  The thing will occasionally lock up
-- no three finger salute, no response to pings from another machine,
nothing.  My only option is to hold down the power button until the machine
turns itself off.  I've tried to take note to what I'm doing when it locks...
frequently I'm in either Mozilla (which typically causes the problem if I
fill in a form and press "Enter") or resizing a window when the problem
occurs.  Sometimes it may be as simple as going from one workspace to
another.  In any event, my best "uptime" is 2 days on this beastie.  My 770
has given me uptimes of months (I simply suspend to disk instead of shutting
down)

The machine has a Pent IV Mobile @ ~2Ghz, 512M of RAM, 40 Gb HD, ATI Radeon
graphics.   The X video driver that I'm using is:

BoardName   "ATI Radeon Mobility 7500"

Various searches through groups.Google.com have yielded some things to try
(which I have), among them:

booting with "noapic" as a kernel parameter
booting with "apic=on pci=noapic" as a kernel parameter

Neither has been helpful.

I've tried turning on/off various power management options, again without
relief.

I've upgraded the BIOS  and other embedded software, no help.

Is there anyone out there using this machine with RH9 whose machine doesn't
exhibit this behaviour?    Can anyone offer any other suggestions?

TIA,

Barry