Re: LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5...why me ?

Around about 11/09/2003 12:31, Philippe typed ...
First, thanks a lot to answer me, you are the first one... and the only
one. Just for information, I have a Epson 1250 scanner.
It is not supported by sane (as documented), but it worked for me.

? I have a 1260/photo; they both seem to be supported.

I just installed sane-backends-1.0.12-4.i386.rpm
xsane-0.91-1.i386.rpm
sane-frontends-1.0.11-2.i386.rpm

But using the rpm version, I don't know what to do with the
plustek-backend. Is this include in sane package...as I do not want to
blow up my scanner ;-)

Go to http://www.gjaeger.de/scanner/plustek.html - this is where I got the latest plustek backend (which is bizarrely the one that supports these Espon machines).

Re-reading it, the scanner fatality danger is restricted to the 1260, so you'll be OK. That's the only reason I upgraded, but you may get better results with a newer backend than with the stock RH build. I don't recall seeing the iscan generating better scans than the sane drivers, and ISTR reading that the recent sane drivers are held to be better.

You'll have to read the page; I forgot what I did, but the instructions are fairly straightforward: download the correct plsutek_module file to somewhere, unpack it & I think you just 'make/make install' it.

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature