Re: Whats my architecture?

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 02:02:56PM -0400, Chris Kloiber wrote:

... a lot of stuff that I agree with, but can't resist adding a few
additional comments.

> The common arches are:
>
> i386	The 80386 cpu, a least common denominator of sorts. All of 	the
> higher numbered common processors include the i386 	instruction set.
> Most rpm packages are "i386".
>
> i486	Almost nobody makes rpms tuned for this chip, it was a 	short lived
> stepping stone to the Pentium.

The other significant difference is that an i386 will generally lack a
floating point unit, which is one reason why there are few if any
floating-point operations in the base Linux kernel.  Floating point
arithmatic on an i386 requires either an external FPU chip, or trap
handlers to emulate the floating point instructions in software.

I tend to think of the i486 as an i386 with a built-in FPU.  If there
are any other major differences I can't remember what they are.

> ia64 The Intel 64 bit processors, called Itanium.

Sometimes also derisively called the Itanic.

> They can run some programs make for i386 and up, but *slowly*.

Are you sure about this?  I thought that the ia64 was a completely
different architecture than the ia32, with no backward compatability.

> amd64 Also temporarily known as "x86_64". These are the new AMD
> Opterons, and soon the "Athlon 64"

Noteworthy because these are 64-bit CPUs with full backward
compatibility with the ia32 architecture.  The reports I've seen also
indicate that the amd64 CPUs can run ia32 binaries faster than the
fastest current ia32 processors.  It looks like AMD has a real winner
on their hands with this series of CPUs.

--
John Kodis                                    Goddard Space Flight Center
kodis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                      Greenbelt, Maryland, USA