Re: Vacation program: does it come with Sendmail version shipped with Shrike?

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 01:45:35AM +0700, Vidol Loeung wrote:

> The subject says all I'd like to ask.

Maybe so, but I seldom read subject lines, and when I'm reading email
in a hurry I tend to immediately delete any messages that refer me to
the subject line.  I suspect that this is a common behavior.  Even if
the subject line does say it all, you're more likely to get a response
if you repeat it in the body of the message.

> I've checked on my Shrike box, there is no vacation command. Where
> can I get it? Or is it being replaced by another program in the
> newer versions of Sendmail?

The vacation program was written by the original author of sendmail,
but seems to be omitted from current distributions, which is a shame.
There are several good stand-alone versions to choose from listed at
<http://freshmeat.net/search?q=vacation>.

Also note that to get sendmail to use the vacation program, you'll
probably have to create a symlink from /etc/smrsh/vacation to wherever
the vacation program executable is installed.

--
John Kodis                                    Goddard Space Flight Center
kodis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                      Greenbelt, Maryland, USA