Re: Whats my architecture?

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 02:40, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:

>     ar>  This is a pretty simple question. How do I know what my
>     ar> architecture is? Specifically, what's the difference between
>     ar> i386, i586 and i686? How do I find out which my laptop is to
>     ar> know which kernel to install?
>
> `uname -a' will tell you.

Sort of, yes. Remember however that athlon will report as i686.

You can always look in /proc/cpuinfo to find out exactly what the kernel
thinks of your processor, although it won't specifically tell you the
'arch'.

The common arches are:

i386	The 80386 cpu, a least common denominator of sorts. All of 	the
higher numbered common processors include the i386 	instruction set.
Most rpm packages are "i386".

i486	Almost nobody makes rpms tuned for this chip, it was a 	short lived
stepping stone to the Pentium.

i586	The original Pentium processor, and the Original MMX 	capable
Pentiums. Also includes some non-Intel chips like 	AMD K5, AMD K6,
Cyrix, and other lesser players.

i686	This is a large group of machines, including the Pentium 	Pro,
Pentium II, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium IV as well 	as their Xeon,
Celeron, and now Centrino cousins.
	Also might include the Transmeta Carusoe.

athlon	AMD created the Athlon and Duron processors.

Other (non-x86 compatible) arches:

alpha	My favorite non-x86 processor, and doomed to eventual 	oblivion by
HP. `nuff said.

ia64	The Intel 64 bit processors, called Itanium. They can run 	some
programs make for i386 and up, but *slowly*.

amd64	Also temporarily known as "x86_64". These are the new AMD
	Opterons, and soon the "Athlon 64"

ppc	A lot of machines actually fit under this category, and I am 	not
familiar with most of them, some Apple Macs, some are 	mainframes, and
lots in between.

ppc64	64 bit version of the ppc, again I couldn't really name 	any.

There are many others I can't name off the tip of my head.

--
Chris Kloiber