Re: Desktop device icons

You can change /etc/fstab and move the sym links in /dev without problems. I use dvdrom and cdrw. If you do a ls -l /dev/cdrom* you'll notice that they're just sym links to the appropriate block devices. If you have links to the devices on your desktop in kde or gnome you may have to change them too. I don't think anything else links to /dev/cdrom*.

Joseph

Glenn wrote:
Hey, Hats:

When I installed RH 9 a while back, I wound up with a desktop icon for
each of my CD drives.  I have a DVD/CD drive and a CD-Writer,and they
are labeled /dev/cdrom1 and /dev/cdrom, respectively.  I think you will
agree that those labels are not very distinctive.

I have looked at man fstab and read the section in the Red Hat Bible on
/etc/fstab and I am now more confused than ever (if that's possible).

Can I simply change the device name in /etc/fstab?  What implications
will that have, system-wise, in terms of symlinks or hard links. Is
there more I need to consider?

I would be grateful for some help on this.

Thanks.

Regards.

Glenn
n0hn@xxxxxxxxxx