Desktop device icons

Hey, Hats:

When I installed RH 9 a while back, I wound up with a desktop icon for
each of my CD drives.  I have a DVD/CD drive and a CD-Writer,and they
are labeled /dev/cdrom1 and /dev/cdrom, respectively.  I think you will
agree that those labels are not very distinctive.

I have looked at man fstab and read the section in the Red Hat Bible on
/etc/fstab and I am now more confused than ever (if that's possible).

Can I simply change the device name in /etc/fstab?  What implications
will that have, system-wise, in terms of symlinks or hard links. Is
there more I need to consider?

I would be grateful for some help on this.

Thanks.

Regards.

Glenn
n0hn@xxxxxxxxxx