Multiple mail servers for a single domain?

Hi all:

I've seen how to set up multiple MX records for a single domain.
However, I can't think of how to set up multiple mail servers for the
single domain.
Let me suppose that, I have a domain mydomain.com, and 2 MX records:

@	IN	MX	10	mail1.mydomain.com.
@	IN	MX	20	mail2.mydomain.com.

That means, the host mail1.mydomain.com will be contacted first by a
client for mail delivery to the domain. Only if that fails would the
host mail2.mydomain.com be contacted instead.

Well, that is just the theory from the DNS part. But from the
mail-service part, how could I set up both servers (mail1 and mail2) to
receive mails for the same single domain with the same set of user names
and same places of mailboxes. Is there such a thing as user/mailbox
synchronization between the two mail servers?

Thanks and best regards,
Vidol