Re: Multiple mail servers for a single domain?

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 02:19, Vidol Loeung wrote:

> That means, the host mail1.mydomain.com will be contacted first by a
> client for mail delivery to the domain. Only if that fails would the
> host mail2.mydomain.com be contacted instead.
>
> Well, that is just the theory from the DNS part. But from the
> mail-service part, how could I set up both servers (mail1 and mail2) to
> receive mails for the same single domain with the same set of user names
> and same places of mailboxes. Is there such a thing as user/mailbox
> synchronization between the two mail servers?

The short answer is that you wouldn't do what you propose.  Depending on
the size of the organization, the typical configuration is that the 2
systems you describe act only as "front-ends" accepting email from the
Internet and generally acting as the gateways for internal systems
sending emails out to the Internet.

These 2 systems would then redistribute incoming emails to multiple
smaller systems or a single system internally.

Now, that is not to say you can't have multiple servers acting on the
same "message store".  I have done that, with varying degrees of
success, with commercial SW using NFS mounted message store.  I've not
tried it with open-source SW.

Regards,
Ed

--