Re: Multiple mail servers for a single domain?

Hi

There is no such standard feature that will do that.

But you could setup a redirection server that has aliases set up to deliver mail to multiple
email addresses, one for each machine.

Example

in virtusertable of the redirection machine :

johndoe@xxxxxxxxxx pf-johndoe

in the alias file of the redirection machine :

pf-johndoe: johndoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,johndoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

mail1.petfarm.us and mail2.petfarm.us do not need mx records but must be
configured to accept mail from their cannonical {fully qualified domain} name.

The redirection machine can be either of these machines and in fact could be both %^}.

if there are mx records are :

petfarm.us    IN    MX    10 mail1.petfarm.us
petfarm.us    IN    MX    20 mail2.petfarm.us

And both have :

The same virtusertable and aliases configurations and have a localhost entry for petfarm.us
then they will both attempt to deliver mail to both locations. That way when ever mail is
sent to either machine it will send the message to two addresses one that resolves localy
and the other that resolves on the other server. If either server is not accessable the other
will hold the message for upto five days untile the other becomes accessable again, then
it will deliver the queued messages.

Interesting idea for redundant mail storage, but you will then have two full copies of the
mail, and it would be difficult to syncronize removal of the messages from both systems
when mail is deleted.

Have a nice day.

Vidol Loeung wrote:

Hi all:

I've seen how to set up multiple MX records for a single domain.
However, I can't think of how to set up multiple mail servers for the
single domain. Let me suppose that, I have a domain mydomain.com, and 2 MX records:

@	IN	MX	10	mail1.mydomain.com.
@	IN	MX	20	mail2.mydomain.com.

That means, the host mail1.mydomain.com will be contacted first by a
client for mail delivery to the domain. Only if that fails would the
host mail2.mydomain.com be contacted instead.

Well, that is just the theory from the DNS part. But from the
mail-service part, how could I set up both servers (mail1 and mail2) to
receive mails for the same single domain with the same set of user names
and same places of mailboxes. Is there such a thing as user/mailbox
synchronization between the two mail servers?

Thanks and best regards,
Vidol

-- Guy Fraser Network Administrator The Internet Centre 780-450-6787 , 1-888-450-6787

There is a fine line between genius and lunacy, fear not, walk the
line with pride. Not all things will end up as you wanted, but you
will certainly discover things the meek and timid will miss out on.