Re: Partition question

On 17 Aug 2003, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 08:29, Joe wrote:
> > >
> > >I have a PC running on hardware RAID-0 (RAID pci controller).  The HD is
> > >partitioned into 2, C and D.  Drive-C is running Win2K and Drive-D has
> > >not been formatted yet.
> > >
> > What kind of raid controller? Is it fully transparent to the OS, and/or
> > does it support Linux?
>
> High Point RAID controller.  It supports Linux.  Previous I have
> installed RH9.0 solely on this PC without partition and it ran without
> problem.
>
> Sorry I don't understand "fully transparent to the OS"
>

> > >How shall be the desgination of drives if to install RH9.0 on Drive-D
> > >(how the drives will be displayed)
> >
> > >1) Automaticly partition
> > >2) Manaully partition
> > >

> > Either one will work - but I always manually partition to make sure of
> > what I'm getting.
> >
> > BTW drive letters are merely a peecee-ism, there are no drive letters in
> > unix OSes
>
> I have tried to install RH9.0 after having installed Win2K.  It asked
> where to install RH9.0, hda or hdc.  There was not hdb therefore I
> hesitate to proceed.

That makes sense.  You probably have your main drive (C:) as the master on
the primary interface, and your second drive (D:) as the master on the
secondary interface.

hda and hdb are the master and slave on the primary IDE interface, and hdc
and hdd are the master and slave on the secondary IDE interface.  That
there was no hdb listed won't actually cause you any problems.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, send a message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe