Re: RFC-1855, Time, Money, and this email list.

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 07:08:05AM -0700, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> Just like in most European and American countries, we shake hands to make
> others feel welcome and to introduce ourselves, we bottom-post on mailing
> lists and on USENET. That's become the social norm, regardless of RFCs or
> codified standards or the IETF. Just like you would find it really weird if I
> gave you a wet kiss when I introduced myself to you the first time, I (and
> many thousands of others) find it strange when you top-post and use more than
> 80 columns in your email. In fact, it is annoying and rude.

Most people who top-post or fail to trim messages before replying do so
because that's the way it works in the corporate world and they only
visit lists when they have a problem.  If it's important to the list
denizens that the rules are followed, and I can see why it would be,
then why not call attention to the list etiquette on the sign-up page
for the list?