VM, swapping & bdflush - was: Re: Novell buys Ximian

Cliff Wells said:
> On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 17:50, Andrew Smith wrote:
>> Rick Warner said:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > The handling of the filesystem in Netware is probably still among the
>> > best for performance of any alternative.  Using all free memory for
>> > file
>> > cache along with hashing and the elevator seeks really ramps up the
>> > performance.  At some point in time it would be great if all that
>> > stuff got rev'd into some OSS offering.
>>
>> Ah - so now I know who to blame for this PITA idea in Linux :-)
>
> Actually a very good idea.  Why have RAM sitting unused?

So that some is available when (not if) you need more!

>> Every morning when I sit down in front of my RH desktop, it spends
>> a few minutes swapping each desktop app I use back into memory, so
>> I've finally got to the stage where I just click on a few things
>> and walk away and come back later!
>
> Try this:
>
> As root, run:
> /sbin/sysctl -w vm.bdflush="30 500 0 0 2560 15360 60 20 0"
>
> and add this line to /etc/sysctl.conf:
> vm.bdflush="30 500 0 0 2560 15360 60 20 0"
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Cliff Wells, Software Engineer

Execellent!
I've brought up this issue before (quite a while ago) but either:
1) bdflush didn't exist (Looks like it's been around a long time)
3) noone who knew responded

However, could you please explain how these changes might help?
I'm asking through ignorance, not disbelief.

i.e. making kupdate run only every 25.6 seconds instead of 5 seconds
and keeping the dirty buffers for up to 153.6 seconds instead of
30 seconds
The rest of your values are the kernel suggested ones - interestingly
RedHat sets all the % values higher
I wonder if anyone knows why?
(as in what performance difference to expect for their changes)

I'm assuming that you are assuming that HZ=100 which is usually
true however, if I was wanting to run a x86 high ping hlds I'd
have it at HZ=1000 :-)
HZ=1000 is the default for current 2.5 & 2.6 kernels

Reading /usr/src/linux-2.4/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt
has suggested other methods that 'might' be useful
Your suggestion was what lead me to this info - so thanks for
that also!

--
-Cheers
-Andrew

MS ... if only he hadn't been hang gliding!