Re: Novell buys Ximian

Rick Warner said:

<snip>

> The handling of the filesystem in Netware is probably still among the
> best for performance of any alternative.  Using all free memory for file
> cache along with hashing and the elevator seeks really ramps up the
> performance.  At some point in time it would be great if all that stuff
> got rev'd into some OSS offering.

Ah - so now I know who to blame for this PITA idea in Linux :-)
Every morning when I sit down in front of my RH desktop, it spends
a few minutes swapping each desktop app I use back into memory, so
I've finally got to the stage where I just click on a few things
and walk away and come back later!
(Athlon 1600+ 512MB RAM)
I just wish there was an easy way to tell Linux that this computer
is mainly a desktop - not a server - so I don't have everything
swapped out
I guess that would also mean that applications would need to
identify their role - e.g. desktop vs server - so maybe that is too
much to ask for :-) :-) - but it would be better.
I guess you could tune the machine by removing anything and
everything that could possible cause this - but that seems a bit
excessive for a desktop - that's server work - not home desktop
OTOH this works great for my 5 servers - but it's a pain for the
one desktop.
My 2nd desktop ... well we'll skip that discussion ... :-)

> I think it is time for folks to take a chill pill, work with vendors
> like Novell who are willing to try to fund a commercially viable Linux
> based offering.   Linux has benefited greatly from the likes of IBM and
> RedHat.  There have been a lot of good ideas that have died because of
> lack of financial support during critical periods.

So - how does a GPL idea die unless the idea is no good?
If it really is GPL - then anyone can take it up and keep it alive.
Maybe the problem was the license used that killed these projects
you are talking about?

> I think that it
> would be more advantageous to try to work with Novell than for folks to
> be naysayers and to bash them.
>
> - rick

However, if eveything I have read of late is close to true regarding
Novell - I'm certainly happy that they appear to be heavily into the
Linux market.

--
-Cheers
-Andrew

MS ... if only he hadn't been hang gliding!