Re: Novell buys Ximian

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 17:50, Andrew Smith wrote:
> Rick Warner said:
> >

> <snip>
>
> > The handling of the filesystem in Netware is probably still among the
> > best for performance of any alternative.  Using all free memory for file
> > cache along with hashing and the elevator seeks really ramps up the
> > performance.  At some point in time it would be great if all that stuff
> > got rev'd into some OSS offering.
>
> Ah - so now I know who to blame for this PITA idea in Linux :-)
> Every morning when I sit down in front of my RH desktop, it spends
> a few minutes swapping each desktop app I use back into memory, so
> I've finally got to the stage where I just click on a few things
> and walk away and come back later!
> (Athlon 1600+ 512MB RAM)
> I just wish there was an easy way to tell Linux that this computer
> is mainly a desktop - not a server - so I don't have everything
> swapped out

<snip>

You are flogging the wrong horse.  Suggest you get a good book on why
swapping occurs in Linux.

File caching in Netware uses only free memory and happens only when
files have been requested.  How long it is kept in cache is dependent on
when it was last requested, how much cache memory is available, how it
ranks with other stuff, etc.

Swapping and paging in *NIX are very different, but both are dependent
on just a couple of things:  how much memory you have, and how much
stuff you are trying to load into memory.  This is NOT file cache
and the Netware caching has no direct equivalence.  There is a
straightforward fix if you have too much stuff being swapped out:  load
less into memory, or get more memory.  Simple.  Fix it, do not whine
since it is all under YOUR control.

- rick warner