Re: win4lin

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 22:47, ___cliff rayman___ wrote:
> Doug B wrote:
>
> >I'm running win4lin 5.0 on rhl 9. I use lotus smartsuite, office 2000,
> >quicken and a few little known programs with good results.
> >
> do they run quickly, or do they appear sluggish?  if quickly, what is
> your hardware info?

I've only been using it a few weeks.  I haven't performed any
benchmarks, but the 'feel' is a little slower. I wouldn't call it it
sluggish though.

I rarely use office so I can't even give an impression there.  I got it
mainly to do Lotus 123 work.  Some of the spreadsheets are fair sized (4
to 5 meg) and make heavy use of macros to pull info from files (mostly
text and dbf's) into a single spreadsheet.  Occasionally a macro will
break while doing an edit-copy and paste and I have to restart it.
Mouse scrolling doesn't always work as expected either.

I haven't run into a real 'show stopper' yet, but if I know I'm going to
be spending a few hours doing nothing but Lotus work, I usually reboot
into windows... It just feels more comfortable.  If I have a lot of
linux work to do or if I only need to do something down, dirty and
quick, I'll fire it up so I can avoid the reboot and keep working in
linux.

As for hardware, I'm running an AMD xp 1800 with 768 meg ram and an 80
gig ATA 100 7200 rpm IDE drive. I don't remember the MB specs off hand
and I don't have the books near by.

Doug