Newbie Samba questions

I'm trying to set up Samba on my home network and ran into these problems. I'm hoping someone can suggest solutions or references.

1. The PC client does not recognize the Samba server's name. When the server is booted into Win2K, the client does recognize the server name. With the server in Linux, I can access the shared disks by specifying the IP address of the server, but not the name of the server. In the smb.conf file, I have entry "workgroup = WORKGROUP", which is the same value for the client as best as I can tell. What don't I know?

2. I cannot write to a shared disk that is mounted as a VFAT partition on the Linux server. I can write to the same shared disk with netatalk from a Mac client. The partition is mounted with

/dev/hda5 /mnt/Xtra-FAT vfat user,noexec,umask=000,uid=101,gid=101 0 0

The pertinent entry in the smb.conf file is

[Xtra-FAT]
comment = Xtra-FAT
path = /mnt/Xtra-FAT
valid users = andrew
public = no
writable = yes
printable = no
create mask = 0765

I'm logged into the Win2K client as andrew, who is a member of the 101 group. What don't I know?

3. I have an Epson Stylus Photo printer attached to the Linux server, configured with CUPS. I cannot access it from the Windoze client. I made no special entries in the smb.conf file because it looked like I did not need to (eg., "printing = cups"). What don't I know?

OK, I don't know much. Thanks for the help!

Andrew Robinson