Re: Newbie Samba questions

On Thursday 07 August 2003 00:29, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> I'm trying to set up Samba on my home network and ran into these
> problems. I'm hoping someone can suggest solutions or references.
>
> 1. The PC client does not recognize the Samba server's name. When the
> server is booted into Win2K, the client does recognize the server name.
> With the server in Linux, I can access the shared disks by specifying
> the IP address of the server, but not the name of the server. In the
> smb.conf file, I have entry "workgroup = WORKGROUP", which is the same
> value for the client as best as I can tell. What don't I know?

How did you set Samba up in the first place ? (ie did you use the gui tool,
swat, manually edit smb.conf)
You might check for a line that reads: "Remote Announce", commented out by
default.  Clear the comment or duplicate the line using your local network IP
so that your Linux box will make itself known.
If you can see the machine name in network neighborhood, but can't access it
because it's not there (according to winders) uncomment "Local Master = no".
I ran into that one before because of a whiny W2k box.
Try using PING as a diagnostic tool to see if you can ping by machine name in
addition to IP.  Winders can be weak in machine name resolution and sometimes
needs to be reminded who's out there.

> 2. I cannot write to a shared disk that is mounted as a VFAT partition
> on the Linux server. I can write to the same shared disk with netatalk
> from a Mac client. The partition is mounted with
>
> /dev/hda5 /mnt/Xtra-FAT vfat user,noexec,umask=000,uid=101,gid=101 0 0
>
> The pertinent entry in the smb.conf file is
>
> [Xtra-FAT]
> comment = Xtra-FAT
> path = /mnt/Xtra-FAT
> valid users = andrew
> public = no
> writable = yes
> printable = no
> create mask = 0765
>
> I'm logged into the Win2K client as andrew, who is a member of the 101
> group. What don't I know?

Not sure how much help I'm going to be here.  Just keep in mind that "andrew"
on your winders box and "andrew" on your Linux box are two different
entities.  Your Linux box will expect you to authenticate to it.  Assuming
you're past that point, what errors do you see when you attempt to write?
How does read access work, etc.

> 3. I have an Epson Stylus Photo printer attached to the Linux server,
> configured with CUPS. I cannot access it from the Windoze client. I made
> no special entries in the smb.conf file because it looked like I did not
> need to (eg., "printing = cups"). What don't I know?

The only help I can offer you here is to check the archives for this one.
There was a lively debate on issues with CUPS and Samba about two months ago.
I don't print through Samba as I have a print server which I print directly
to from all clients.

> OK, I don't know much. Thanks for the help!

None of us do.  Just consume all the documentation you can and make sure you
eat your vegetables.

Joebewan