Up2Date stalls

I've been seeing this lately.  When I run up2date from the icon next to the
clock, likely as not it will freeze in the midst of updating (various stages)
and can't be closed, killed, murdered, slain, or otherwise stopped.  The
system doesn't lock up, just up2date freezing.

I can reboot the system and everything usually returns to normal, but the only
reliable way to update is to run up2date -p from a command line.  I can
either run it before I startx or run it in a terminal window within X.

Not a big hairy deal as I can still update, but just wondering if anyone else
has had this problem and / or can offer a solution.

System is Athlon 900 with 384MB RAM; Everything install; fully updated.

Joebewan