Re: SW installed from RPM and source code: how to fix?

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 09:52, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> Hello,

rpm -U --force will overwrite installed RPMS (and thus the libraries).
Look at additional parms for forcing overwrite of the nwo overwritten
config files.  Anyway this will not solve the problem of additional
files  or of files installed in different places like /usr/local
instead of /usr (and they could be higher priority for search).

If you really want to install from source install the RedHat SRPMS
edit the Spec file for the new sources and version then build.
DON'T install from the tar files the way you did: you will lose
every benefit from RPM like preservation of config files, dependency
checks, pre and post install scripts, triggers.

Also when you build from tar file you will notice that the configure
file will check for presence of libraries.  Depending on the importance
it can abort the thing, not a problem, but it can also silently leave it
out (with just a warning who will be lost between the hundreds of
messages.  There is also the problem of optional features turned on by
falgs to configure.  All of this can lead to a crippled binary.  For
instance, a Gimp who
cannot handle JPEGS, or a Gnome library without OpenGL support who will
cause trouble because some RedHat apps have been built assumming
OpenGL-aware gnome libraries.  Building from SRPM greatly reduces those
dangers since you have build-time dependencies and configure will be run
with a well defined set of flags for optional features (eg support of
Ldap or winbind when building Samba).

The macho drivel you read in magazines about "./configure; make; make
install and voila" is just that, macho drivel by people who write in
magazines and who are too busy writing for performing real work :-)

--
Jean Francois Martinez <jfm512@xxxxxxx>