Re: of Hijacked Threads, Top Posts, and other things

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 00:35:16 at 12:35:16AM -0400, jgotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (jgotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

>On the other hand, people should probably direct their energy more
>towards spammers which no doubt waste more of their time and
>bandwidth than "top posters."

Since the thread is about general netiquette, not just top posting,
let's make clear one thing. For people following one or more high
volume mailing lists, bad netiquette (not trimming messages, hijacked
threads, moronic subjects (**)...) wastes MUCH MORE TIME than spam.

The second can be almost be completely filtered automatically, in
several ways. The first requires actual reading of each message, to
figure out if it was worth attention. Unless, of course, one refuses
to read or answer, deleting immediately, all threads hijacked or with
useless subject (**). Which, by itself, is enough reason for me to
thread email.

       Ciao,
		Marco Fioretti

(**) Moronic subjects:
     empty ones
     all those like "Problem with Red Hat 9" on a Red Hat 9 list,
	            etc.
     those which mix two or more totally unrelated subjects, to save
     some typing: "My CD player doesn't mount, my fonts are ugly, and I
     can't connect to the net: now you who answer keep everything
     sorted out and easy to read"
     what else?

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

If you want to be worshipped, go to India and moo.     -The Quiz Show