Re: of Hijacked Threads, Top Posts, and other things

In message <200308052232.58428.pricetech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Price Technology write
s:

>As to top posting, I guess it's like the "great taste / less filling" debate,
>it will never be settled.  But I can see where it can be annoying when the
>answer appears before the question, especially when the discussion gets
>several layers deep.  Consistency would help, but then your asking half the
>population to go against their grain.  ("half" is not a statistic and should
>not be contrued as such)

I think "top posting" has its place like in the case of tech support exchanges
where preserving the entire dialog is important.  Generally I "top post" when
I'm working with colleagues and I need clarifications.  I eventually have the
original document with clarifications attached rather than have the document
somewhere and the clarifications somewhere else.

For Usenet and technical mailing lists, though, I don't see any use at all for
"top posting."  Google groups and mailing list archives make it easy to track
the progression of a messages and its replies.  Especially in the case of
mailing lists, you must realize that some people might not want to read your
message *at all*, so the shorter the better.  Some people actually do have
bandwidth quotas.  On the other hand, people should probably direct their
energy more towards spammers which no doubt waste more of their time and
bandwidth than "top posters."

John

--
John GOTTS <jgotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  http://linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts