Re: of Hijacked Threads, Top Posts, and other things

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 22:32:58 at 10:32:58PM -0500, Price Technology (pricetech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> As to top posting, I guess it's like the "great taste / less
> filling" debate, it will never be settled.  But I can see where it
> can be annoying when the answer appears before the question,
> especially when the discussion gets several layers deep.
> Consistency would help, but then your asking half the population to
> go against their grain.

Well, something that should be consistently reminded to everybody is
"top-post, bottom-post, through-post, post in another dimension,
whatever, but for heaven's sake always CUT the uninteresting/
irrelevant parts of the original message".

Forcing the mail server and the network to retransmit 100 lines of
message to hundreds/thousands of users (many of which still pay per
minute/byte), just to add one "I agree" line is *bad*, regardless of
the position of that line. Common sense for when and how to ignore
this rule applies in some cases, of course, but...

Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Don't think that a small group of dedicated individuals can't change
the world. it's the only thing that ever has.  (read on /.)