Re: Globe Trotter, please stop messing up threads

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 12:52, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Cliff Wells wrote:
>
> > > 	This is one of the reasons I dislike threaded mail in the first
> > > place.
> >
> > That's like saying you dislike directory tree structures because you
> > keep putting files in the wrong place.  Threaded views are an
> > organizational method, nothing more.  The problem isn't with threaded
> > mail, but rather with people.
>
> 	Interesting, though inaccurate analogy.  Threading works well if
> you read mail by thread.  But if you read mail by incoming time stamp it
> doesn't work well.  I didn't say threading mail is bad, just that it
> doesn't fit with my needs for email.

Not certain how it's inaccurate.  Threading is a tree representation of
data just as a directory is.  If you read mail by timestamp then
threading is not for you.  It's akin to putting all your files in one
directory and sorting by timestamp.  The two approaches obviously don't
mix.  People still need to post properly (i.e. posting a new message
rather than replying to one with a different topic) to respect the
preferences of those who prefer the threaded view (which includes most
archive search engines).  Not doing so would be like if I forged the
timestamp on my posts causing your scheme to be screwed (although this
would clearly be a malicious act versus the plain laziness of not
starting a new thread).

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer