Airport Extreme problem

Has anyone know how to connect wirelessly to an Apple Airport Extreme
hub?  My RH9 laptop connects fine to my old vanilla 802.11b hub,
whatever they use at work, and the local library's network without
problem.  My laptop even connects to the Airport hub, but only when
running XP (so it's a hardware incompatibility).

All of our family's various Mac and Windows systems just work,
everything but the Linux system.  Setting the ESSID (or leaving it as
"any") and changing the hub's channel to the same one the old one used
doesn't make any difference.  My card is Dell's version of the Intersil
PRISM2, using the orinoco_cs driver.

Any ideas?  Any suggestions for debugging this?  Thanks in advance,
Tom