Re: SOLVED: Re: Newbie kernel building questions

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 22:01, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> Markku Kolkka wrote:
>
> >Viestissä Torstai 31. Heinäkuuta 2003 21:55, Andrew Robinson kirjoitti:
> >

> >>I'm trying to teach myself how to build a kernel. As a first attempt, I
> >>figured I'd try to recreate the kernel I downloaded from Red Hat. The
> >>guide I'm using on how to accomplish this is "Linux Administrtion, A
> >>Beginner's Guide, Second Edition".
> >>

> >Here's the procedure you should be following instead:
> >http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-custom-kernel.html
> >

> That proceedure did indeed allow me to build my own kernel successfully.
> I even added read capability for NTFS filesystems. Thanks for the tip!
>
> I distilled that section of the document into this list:
>
> Kernel Build Proceedure
>
> 1. Copy kernel source directory:
>
>     cd /usr/src
>     cp -rp linux-2.4.20-19.9 linux-2.4.20-19.9-awr1
>     rm linux-2.4
>     ln -s linux-2.4.20-19.9-awr1 linux-2.4
>
> 2. Determine current hardware setup
>
>     cat /proc/pci
>
> 3. Clean up any previous configurations
>
>     cd /usr/src/linux-2.4
>     make mrproper
>
> 4. Get correct kernel configuration as starting point
>
>     cd /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs/
>     cp kernel-2.4.20-<arch>.config ../.config
>
> 5. Configure the kernel
>
>     cd /usr/src/linux-2.4
>     make xconfig
>
> 6. Compile the kernel
>
>     make dep
>     make clean
>     make bzImage
>     make modules
>
> 7. Install the modules
>
>     make modules_install
>
> 8. Install the kernel
>
>     make install
>
> 9. Check /boot/grub/grub.conf to insure everything is kosher.

After checking that doc I would say it is entirely unadequate.  It is
unadequate because there are plenty of caveats who are not mentionned.
For instance in 2.4 kernels there are several parms who must be set
correctly or you won't have a working console (and in 2.6 it will be
much harder).

I also hope you don't believe the BS about optimizing through
recompilation.  One of my boxes is a 64 megs and today it is
far too short on memory.  Just for the sake of it I recompiled the
kernel and, as expected, got no appreciable difference in speed.
On a 64 megs, recompiling bringed a little over 1% more memory.
And on a 512 megs...

Finally if a feature you need is missing, and unless it is something
you know is experimental/not solid, you should also fill a bug report.

--
Jean Francois Martinez <jfm512@xxxxxxx>