Re: DSL

Robert L Cochran wrote:

Caught you there. You shouldn't trust that the more limited
functionality (that is, localhost connections only) is in place and
working in a system just because that is the Red Hat default or you have
a pretty sendmail.mc file that appears to show only localhost
connections are accepted.

Touche'

Caught me eh? Yes, if we're talking about taking over the admin duties on some random box, then all bets are off - you have no basis for trusting anything. But not so fast! we're talking to people who just installed Red Hat, right? If you did the install and nobody else has root, how could sendmail get reconfigued?

So let me say this again: turn off relaying in sendmail. Translated,
regenerate the sendmail.cf file using a sendmail.mc input you know for
sure has the functionality you want. Eyeball it yourself, generate it
yourself, and use it.

Don't trust the vendor eh?

Check the date and permissions of sendmail.cf every so often if you run a mail server. (Is this really your sendmail.cf? Although I believe older versions of Red Hat's sendmail regenerate sendmail.cf with each machine reboot, but I'm too tired to check that at the moment.)

So that would be what, a new config every 500-600 days? But no, sendmail.cf is not touched once installed - maybe you're thinking of hp-ux, which plays stupid tricks with sendmail.cf modifications whenever the box is booted?

hehe...

Joe