Re: DSL

I've been using DSL for a couple years now and can never go back to
dialup. My wife feels the same way. I can save money by using cable
internet, but I want to operate servers, hence my investment in DSL. If
you are not going to bother with servers of various sorts cable internet
might be a good choice for you.

I didn't really find DSL complicated to set up. I just followed
instructions from my provider. Once you discover you can do a kernel
upgrade in a few minutes instead of several hours, you'll not go back to
dialup either.

Verizon DSL is incredibly simple to set up, but their installation
software is heavily slanted towards Microsoft Windows systems. In fact
their Windows setup routine is probably the simplest and least painful
I've worked with to date. I don't know if Verizon offers Linux setup
instructions.
My own provider does offer Linux support.

You must have some sort of firewall active. Ed Wilts offers very good
advice. I agree with him. Be sure to turn off relaying in sendmail (or
whatever your_preferred_MTA is), or at least set up very secure mail
relaying for your domain only. First thing that will happen is spammers
attack your mail server and use it as a relay.

Bob