MIMEDefang (was Re: Spamassassin on Default Shrike install)

On 2003-07-19 at 10:23:20+0100 Bryan Hepworth <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I met the mailscanner guy at the recent linux expo in Birmingham.
> I'm also looking at setting it up on a couple of servers running
> Shrike.

While I'm not familiar with mailscanner, I've been very pleased with
the MIMEDefang package:

    http://www.roaringpenguin.com/mimedefang/
    http://www.mimedefang.org/

It runs as a sendmail milter.  You can do practically anything you
want with it.  In terms of simple actions, you can call out to
SpamAssassin and/or virus checkers.  But you can do more complicated
things, too, such as replacing Windows executable attachments with
text/plain parts that say "this Windows executable was removed because
it could have been dangerous", or removing web bugs from text/html
parts.

And since all of these actions occur as the message is being received
(before sendmail has indicated to the sender that it has accepted the
message), if you decide to reject the message, all you have to do is
return a permanent failure code.  Then it becomes the responsibility
of the sending site (instead of your mail server) to bounce the
message back to the sender.

Finally, MIMEDefang is very well-documented, and all of the filter
hooks are written in perl, which a lot of sysadmins are already
familiar with.

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute