Re: Spamassassin on Default Shrike install

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Mike Burger wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 10:23:20AM +0100, Bryan Hepworth wrote:
> > > Aaron
> > >
> > > I met the mailscanner guy at the recent linux expo in Birmingham. I'm also
> > > looking at setting it up on a couple of servers running Shrike. If you could
> > > give me any pointers or pitfalls I'd be really grateful.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Bryan
> > The basic use is very simple. You run mailscanner instead of
> > sendmail and mailscanner calls sendmail to identify the spam.
> > There are instructions. You train the Basyian part of sapmassassin
> > which must be at least version 2.5 (the shrike version won't work)
> > by running a program sa-learn and puts the database in a user
> > directory called .spamassassin. To be truthful there are things
> > about it I have not figured out yet but it does identify spam.
>
> I'm guessing that that should have read "You run mailscanner instead of
> spamassassin and mailscanner calls spamassassin to identify the spam."
>
> Amavis is supposed to also support SA, but I have never been able to
> easily get Amavis to call SA.

Use amavis-new. It is trivial to get SA working with postfix. From what I have
been told getting it working with sendmail requires milter or something. Since
I do not use sendmail I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

> The main problem, of course, with this approach is that by running it at
> the MTA level (which is what happens when Sendmail/Postfix, itself, has to
> pass the mail to the scanner), you negate the ability for users to have
> their own whitelists, blacklists, or other preferences (such as not
> munging the subject line, not killing HTML in non-spam messages, and
> placing the report into the headers).  User level options are only
> available if SA (either by spamc or the spamassassin executable) is run
> under the recipient's UID.

I have read on another list that it is possible to do the per user stuff
it just needs to be setup differently. As I understand things you need
some sort of db to hold the user preferences in.

> The mail administrator winds up having to constantly futz with the
> local.cf file, adding/removing entries, changing config options, etc.

As I understand things the users can adjust their own prefs.

> Calling it through the MTA is best used, IMO, if you're running a front
> end mail relay (mail comes in, is scanned, and then forwarded to an
> internal system for actual delivery).

You also have the ability to have SA simply add a SPAM header and let the
users filter on their own. Obviously there are some trade offs doing it
this way but it is still better than nothing.

HTH,

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	My current SpamTrap ------->	mtd123@xxxxxxxxxxxx