Re: Spamassassin on Default Shrike install

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 10:23:20AM +0100, Bryan Hepworth wrote:
> > Aaron
> >
> > I met the mailscanner guy at the recent linux expo in Birmingham. I'm also
> > looking at setting it up on a couple of servers running Shrike. If you could
> > give me any pointers or pitfalls I'd be really grateful.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Bryan
> The basic use is very simple. You run mailscanner instead of
> sendmail and mailscanner calls sendmail to identify the spam.
> There are instructions. You train the Basyian part of sapmassassin
> which must be at least version 2.5 (the shrike version won't work)
> by running a program sa-learn and puts the database in a user
> directory called .spamassassin. To be truthful there are things
> about it I have not figured out yet but it does identify spam.

I'm guessing that that should have read "You run mailscanner instead of
spamassassin and mailscanner calls spamassassin to identify the spam."

Amavis is supposed to also support SA, but I have never been able to
easily get Amavis to call SA.

The main problem, of course, with this approach is that by running it at
the MTA level (which is what happens when Sendmail/Postfix, itself, has to
pass the mail to the scanner), you negate the ability for users to have
their own whitelists, blacklists, or other preferences (such as not
munging the subject line, not killing HTML in non-spam messages, and
placing the report into the headers).  User level options are only
available if SA (either by spamc or the spamassassin executable) is run
under the recipient's UID.

The mail administrator winds up having to constantly futz with the
local.cf file, adding/removing entries, changing config options, etc.

Calling it through the MTA is best used, IMO, if you're running a front
end mail relay (mail comes in, is scanned, and then forwarded to an
internal system for actual delivery).

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, send a message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe