Re: New beta "severn"?

On Saturday 19 July 2003 7:43 am, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> wonder what it would take for rpm to allow me to install packages built
> for pentium4 on my laptop.  has anyone looked into that?

The architecture in the RPM package name doesn't have to reflect how the
code in the package was compiled.  Go ahead and rebuild all the SRPM
packages with GCC v3.x P4 optimization, then install the generated *.i386
packages.  The RedHat Package Manager doesn't care.

I've been playing recently with Intel's ICC compiler.  After compiling the
code for Pentium4, RPM packages the program into a *.i386.rpm by default.
I renamed these packages to *.i786.rpm to make their content obvious.
These renamed packages install with no complaints on RHL 7.3/9.

Anyone can build their own P4-optimized software.  The benefits of having
these RPMs in a distro are: 1) testing by the vendor; and 2)
convenience, for those who are unable/unwilling to build their own binary
RPMs.