Re: New beta "severn"?

On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 07:43, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> wonder what it would take for rpm to allow me to install packages built for
> pentium4 on my laptop.  has anyone looked into that?

It already does that.

Here's what i do:
I normally don't bother to compile packages optimized for higher
architectures. However, sometimes i do bother - that's when building
multimedia stuff, such as codecs and media libraries.
In that case, i use this .rpmrc file in the home directory of the
account that builds the packages:

optflags: athlon -O3 -march=athlon-xp -mfpmath=sse -pipe
-fomit-frame-pointer
optflags: i686 -O3 -march=pentium3 -mfpmath=sse -pipe
-fomit-frame-pointer

(i only use pentium3, not pentium4, but you can try that yourself)

Then i just build the package using the --target=athlon parameter for
rpmbuild. The package will actually be built for AthlonXP. I rename it
to *.athlon-xp.rpm (only to make the optimization obvious, there's no
other reason) and then put it in the FTP repository or install it or
whatever.
Same for Pentium3: i use -target=i686 but the package is generated with
Pentium3 optimizations. Rename to *.pentium3.rpm, install, done.

You need a fairly new gcc for all that. The one in RH9 should be ok.

"man gcc" is your friend

--
Florin Andrei

"Never send a human to do a machine's job." - Agent Smith