Re: New beta "severn"?

Given Athlon's success there is no way RedHat could use -march=pentium4
without alienating a _large_ share of their user base.

But they could use -mcpu=pentium4 instead of -mcpu=i686 as the Pentium3s
are being phased out.  This would be faster on P4 and would stll run
athlons.

Also given that the only remaining "useful" processors have MMX
capabilities (except for the PentiumPro who never was around in large
numbers) RedHat could and should use:

-mcpu=pentium4 -mmmx

Of course all the discussion above assumes:

a) that Gcc P4 or MMX code generation is not as buggy as hell
b) that it makes a real difference on the P4 (don't assume it
beforehand: it depnds on how much manpower has gone into that part
of Gcc: at one point I found that the code genartion for the K6 was so
bad that programs "optimized" for it were slower than whne compiled for
the 686)
c) That it does not take an unordinate performance hit on the PIII and
Athlons.  Probable since AFAIK both are far less picky than the P4

--
Jean Francois Martinez <jfm512@xxxxxxx>