Re: UDF format ? (was Re: CD-RW blues help)

On May 31, 2003 12:54 pm, Andrew Smith shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Last month I re-installed it to RedHat9
> Then about a week later - for no apparent reason - I thought I
> might put a UDF formatted DVD-RAM disk in it and see if it worked.
> Wow - it behaves like a slow 2.6G HDD (about 1G per hour)
> So UDF is now there and I assume you could use it on any
> appropriate rewitable medium.

Ok. ....let me see if I get this right: If I install a pre-formatted (UDF)
blank DVD disk in my DVD reader or CDRW drive, I can use it like
a (slow) HD writingnd erasing stuff from it, without having to erase
write the laser disk itself, each time? N.B. I *don't* have a DVD
writer, just a plain CDRW drive (/dev/hdd) and a DVD reader (/dev/hdc).

Could I then, just buy a UDF pre-formatted DVD and use it as a
backup? ... since DVD's hold more, it would be IMVHO an economically
viable option to using 5 or more CDRW disks each time I want to back
up my data, and (if I follow you correctly), I could simply erase a
single file, instead of having to do an entire cd-record / erase session.

... am I understanding this correctly?

as for my mention of "patching", while installing stuff, I seem to recall
that cdrecord needed to be appropiately "patched" to support UDF,
hence my query as to if I needed to patch that, and / or the kernel...

(me: not very bright, but willing to learn more linux...)

Elton  ;-)