UDF format ? (was Re: CD-RW blues help)

On May 30, 2003 03:51 pm, dsavage@xxxxxxxxxxx shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On May 30, 2003 Elton Woo wrote:

> > ... pardon my ignorance, but would you kindly enlighten me on the
> > advantages of the UDF protocol? My CDRW device is connected
> > as /dev/hdd , and mounts as /dev/cdrom1.
>
> Elton,
>
> I know that 'udf' stands for User Defined Format. I *think* udf is the
> non-ISO9660 format used to write/rewrite to CD-RW disks as though they
> were big floppies. I'll let someone else provide confirmation and/or
> further details.
>
> --Doc Savage
>   Fairview Heights, IL

Ah, I see... IOW, with UDF, I guess one could move files on and off
a CD disk without having to do an "erase" (i.e. fresh burn) each time.
I seem to have seen some move afoot in the linux world to provide this
ability with laser disks, but I wasn't aware that it was already feasible.
Now I guess I have to learn HOWTO patch a kernel...? or is it
HOWTO patch cdrecord?

Elton ;-)