From: shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of dsavage@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 4:53 PM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: CD-RW blues help

Brian,

Did you check /etc/grub.conf (assuming you use grub) for the hdc= entry?

If that's OK, try

   # dmesg | more

and look for problem reports during bootup. If you don't find anything
there, try

   # cat /var/log/messages | more

and look for the same things.  You are looking for problems involving
/dev/scd0, /dev/cdrom, etc.

It's also possible that your /etc/fstab file is messed up. There should be
a line entry that reads:

/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

Make sure the 'kudzu' entry is there, else boot-time autodiscover won't
detect and support your CD-ROM.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL