RE: First Impressions!

I think I have the attribution right, but it's hard to tell.  If not,
I apologize in advance.  This is snipped rather heavily.

On Thu, 29 May 2003, FrankK wrote:

> My quarrel with /boot instructions are that it implies that you can make
> a separate small partition ahead of the cylinder limit and put /
> elsewhere. I tried that with /boot on hda4 and / on hda6. The install
> program will only put Lilo on hda6. It's expecting /boot to be inside /.
> I need the boot loader on /boot for my XP dual boot.

You *can* have a small /boot partition at the front of the disk.  (All my
machines do.)  You can also configure GRUB or LILO to live in either the
MBR or the /boot partition's boot record.  (I've done it both ways.)  If
you are doing a fresh install, I'd go through the Disk Druid section.
That allows you to specify the mount points of the partitions.  At the
Advanced Boot Loader page, you have the choice of installing in the MBR or
the first sector of the boot partition.  That's /boot, if you have one, /
otherwise.

Note that installing GRUB in the boot partition will not set the boot
partition active.  You need to do that yourself later with fdisk.

BTW, I didn't think you could make hda4 a usable partition.  Most of the
partitioning tools I've seen make the extended partition number 4.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs@xxxxxxxxxxx