From: shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Jesse Keating
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 11:46 AM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: First Impressions!

On Thursday 29 May 2003 10:59, FrankK wrote:
> Just overwrote my 7.2 with a virgin 9.0 install. I thought that 9.0
> would recognize more of my Dell DIM4550 HW than 7.2 did. It did find
> my M/B LAN, but not the PCI CreativeLabs SB.

Turn off plug and play in your bios.  Then your stuff will be much
easier for
Linux to find your hardware.

My quarrel with /boot instructions are that it implies that you can make
a separate small partition ahead of the cylinder limit and put /
elsewhere. I tried that with /boot on hda4 and / on hda6. The install
program will only put Lilo on hda6. It's expecting /boot to be inside /.
I need the boot loader on /boot for my XP dual boot.

[... snipped KDE stuff, I don't use KDE ...]

> The 9.0 documentation says that /boot may have to begin before the
> 1023rd HDD cylinder. The install program will not write the boot
> loader into a separate /boot partition. It will only install it into
> the MBR or the / partition.

Your misreading what it says.  It's telling you that the /boot partition
might
have to start before the 1023'rd HDD cylinder.  This has little to do
with
the location of the boot loader code, which should almost always belong
on
the MBR.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE