Re: First Impressions!

Thanks for the response, Matthew.
I pretty much did what you described. To partition up my big HDD on the Dell,
I bought Pattition Magic 8.0. I used that to partition the drive and then
Disk Druid to set the mount points and format it.

I understand your comment regarding the high partition count. I don't have
the machine in front of me here, but the sequece of partitions is as follows:
There are three primary partitions, a Dell 31Mb FAT and hidden., /boot 100MB,
WinXP NTFS 20GB.
Next came the extended partition, then /. I'm fairly certain that /boot was
hda4 and / was hda6. My choice to locate LILO was /boot at hda6 or MBR. At
this point I quit the install.

For plan B I resized with partition magic, hda4 to 1GB and named it /. I
renamed hda6 to /usr and repeated the install. With Disk Druid I sel those
mount points. When I got to choosing the boot loader location my choices were
/boot at hda4 or MBR. I chose hda4 and it boots fine using boot magic.

I'm inclined to suspect that the fresh installation SW is the differnece
between our experiences. To me it's good to know that /boot can be mounted to
/ rather than being inside it. For now XP will still boot behind / so I have
a working solution.

I don't have a working solution for the KDE lock up. Last time I had a KDE
problem I took it to them and heard they didn't think RedHat  built KDE
properly. I had hopes of tapping some KDE expertise here.