Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Tuesday 27 May 2003 04:02, Audioslave - 7M3 - Live wrote:

I'm just confused about the elimination of harmless or programs related
to multimedia, being eliminated.

The reasons were mostly legal. mplayer and xine are using some questionable libraries, and rather than stunt them to not use the libraries (which is difficult enough) and explain to people why xine/mplayer are very different on RH as compared to other distros, the decision was to not include them at all, and let the end user assume the questionable legal responsibilities. I for one see this as a very good choice.

I can see the rationality with avoiding some more radical Linux programs. I can compare that with some experiences with radical friends and relatives. You might talk til' your blue in the face. But they'll go ahead and do it anyway. you can only save yourself, by your choices.

But if RH starts getting too "risk free". Then they'll miss out on all the best things in life. I feel that they got to muddy their feet a bit. If not by supporting these more chance taking programs. They'll need to come out with a suitable alternative replacement program. Most want multimedia and internet related programs. (at least in my encounters)

I'm all for the ogg format for audio. I use it a lot and don't bother trying to record in the mp3 format. But there are too many mp3 formatted files that I would like to be able to listen to. Mostly files provided from musical artists websites.

AS for real audio formatted videos and sound files. I am glad that there is a community supported player. It seems to be the best option for this program. I assume that it is the best route for xine and other Linux programs also. I hope the abandonment of support leads to better and more choices for improving the programs.

I can live with the reduction in distributed programs. But do feel that it will repel people from the distribution.

Personally, I feel like a bird kicked out of the nest. If I don't fly, I'd hit the ground. I'm compelled to try out other non-RH distributed programs. But I still hang out at the "nest".

For attracting a newbie, I'd say they'd feel RHL was limiting their choices. kicking them out of the nest. Before the egg even hatches.

Jim

--
"Gentlemen of the jury," said the defense attorney, now beginning
to warm to his summation, "the real question here before you is, shall this