The wrong value, was: Extra programs for Red Hat

> I was not having in mind those high bandwith people, who don't see the
> difference between CD ROM installation and Internet based one.

So instead of telling them to download only one program, you tell them to download
one much larger ISO. Never mind, however, the real issue is below.

> I am talking about newbies, from the Windows world, who used to have
> programs for playing audio and video files INCLUDED in the OS.This does
> nothing to do with the flavours, it has to do with the choice. Should we
> blame them because of that?

No, we should  help them to realize *where* the problem is. What leaves you without
choice is the current patent/copyright system.

The reason why in the Windows world there are "programs for playing audio and video
files INCLUDED in the OS" is simply that one pays much more than the SW is worth
to give up his user and author rights. It's not possible to move to a different
"system" and
pretend that the system itself keeps you dumb and happy as before.

Forcing end users to become programmers is wrong, but, in this case, forcing
them to learn
how to installs from 3rd parties has it has the long overdue effect to make them
think about
the current copyright and patents. Which is good. Please read:

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/shrike-list/2003-May/msg00400.html

Ciao,
                Marco Fioretti