Re: Can't satisfy up2date advisory for gnupg

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 18:53, Gerry Tool wrote:
> My rhn-applet tells me I need an update for gnupg.  When I try to run
> up2date to get it, the program tells me I'm up to date.  However, the
> red throbbing exclamation point remains.
>
> I have gnupg-1.2.1-3.fdr.1.rh90 installed, and the available package
> from rhn is gnupg-1.2.1-4.  I evidently obtained my present package from
> freshrpms.  Synaptic indicates there is no later package available
> there.
>
> Thinking I could straighten things out, I tried to rpm -e gnupg, but rpm
> replies

So this is interesting to me.

1. the package of gnupg you have is from fedora.us.
2. they are using the 0 Epoch: spec files.
3. if you run rpm from the command line on that package rpm will upgrade
it just fine.
4. it seems like something in up2date is not doing the comparison
correctly
5. synaptic/apt seems to not being doing the comparison correctly
6. rhn_applet appears to be doing it right.

These are points worth looking into on all the involved parties' sides

just for the record "correct" handling of the version comparison is this

Epoch == none == 0

-sv