Re: problem installing Tux Racer from source (rpm *or* tarball)

On May 20, 2003 12:45 am, Michael Fratoni wrote:
> So you installed a package from the 7.2 release?
> The tuxracer package can be built using only packages distributed with the
> current release. Why would you uninstall the version included with this
> release, so that you could install a package that was dropped well over a
> year ago?

Ah! You've hit the nail on the head. Rechecking, I see I've downloaded the
tuxracer-0.61-19.src.rpm which is from rawhide, and the source of all my
convoluted operations.... :-(

> My suggestion at this point would be to remove all the rawhide and
> mismatched packages you've installed, and then install using those
> packages from your install media, or released as updates.
>
> 'rpm -qa --last' will give you a list of packages in install order, so you

This gives me a loooonnnng list of packages. Thanks for your suggestions,
and please keep them coming. First, I'll get the tuxracer src package from
the Shrike release and see if that one will rebuild, otherwise, I fear I may
make an even greater mess of things by uninstalling libraries. One of
my recent updates was mozilla 1.4b, which required that I remove Evolution....

... will keep you informed if this succeeds (rebuilding tuxracer from source).

Elton