Re: problem installing Tux Racer from source (rpm *or* tarball)

On Monday 19 May 2003 11:55 pm, Elton Woo wrote:
> On May 18, 2003 09:58 pm, Michael Fratoni wrote:
> > Note the lack of the "gcc-c++" package.
>
> You were right. Once I installed the gcc-cc++ package, I realised that
> I didn't have rpm-build installed, so that bedan the "dependancy
> dance"... this package depended on that (e.g. Mesa-devel, which was
> dropped since RH 7.2), and then other devel packages needed, and now
> I've arrived at an impasse:

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)

$ rpm -q --redhatrequires Mesa-devel
no package requires Mesa-devel

If you have a package requiring Mesa-devel, it wasn't part of the Shrike
release.

$ whichcd -v 9 mesa
Searching in the RHL9 database.

Searching for mesa...
CD-1:XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-2.i386.rpm
CD-1:XFree86-Mesa-libGLU-4.3.0-2.i386.rpm

[...]
> So I guess I have to *un*-install the XFree-Mesa-libGLU package?

So you installed a package from the 7.2 release?
The tuxracer package can be built using only packages distributed with the
current release. Why would you uninstall the version included with this
release, so that you could install a package that was dropped well over a
year ago?

My suggestion at this point would be to remove all the rawhide and
mismatched packages you've installed, and then install using those
packages from your install media, or released as updates.

'rpm -qa --last' will give you a list of packages in install order, so you
can try to remove them all, and revert to a supportable install.

It's simple enough, using redhat-config-packages, to select the
development group(s), and be happily on your way.

> I'm still being prevented from installing the needed SDL-devel package:
>
> # rpmbuild --rebuild tuxracer-0.61-19.src.rpm
> Installing tuxracer-0.61-19.src.rpm
> error: Failed build dependencies:
>         SDL-devel is needed by tuxracer-0.61-19

So, install SDL-devel, and it's dependencies, all available on your
install media.
SDL-devel requires:
SDL = 1.2.5
XFree86-devel